Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Fun! And not so fun!

For the last few days I have been faithfully stalking the UPS website, tracking the whereabouts of my new laptop.  My excitement when it switched from a delivery date of 12/10 to 12/9 was like Christmas morning.  One day closer to some freedom with moving about the house and yet still getting online.  I can check my messages and guard my Christmas tree at the same time.  Whoo-hoo!  And then....

The weather.  Oh my word, the weather.  6-12 inches.  30-50pmh winds.  It all shut down schools and half the city on...the day my beloved new toy was expected to arrive.  That meant massive drifts in our yard.  No one to plow it until the guys were done for the day.  How, oh how, would the UPS truck make it through?  :::sigh::: Turns out that was the least of my problems...

I woke up this morning and the very first thing I did was turn off my fan.  That's odd for me.  I love the air circulation and the steady noise it brings (yes, I'm one of those that hears every.little.noise. our house makes and it keeps me up wondering what it is!).  The thing is, I was FREEZING.  I walked out into our living room walked across the frigid floor and checked the thermostat.  63 degrees.  Ouch.  Turns out the gas tank wasn't full like we thought it was and it picked today of all days to completely empty.  DH was out plowing and we had no heat, no hot water, and no oven (gas operated) to bake mountains of cookies to warm the house.  We did, however, have our fireplace so I tried my hand at making a fire and I gotta say I didn't do too bad!  We closed the doors to the other rooms to contain the heat to the living room, dining room and kitchen.  We dressed in layers.  And I spent the majority of the day hooking up the wireless network for the laptop my awesome UPS guy delivered!  While Tay was gathering wood (right outside the house, she brought it in while I started the fire), the UPS truck pulled in and Tay ran through the drifts (ahhh, to be 13 and have energy like that!) to retrieve the package so the poor guy wouldn't get stuck in our driveway.

So, after a little bit of charging, decrapifying (new favorite word) the stuff I don't need on here, and setting up my wireless router, I have been having a hell of a time doing other stuff around here, lol.  Oh well, tomorrow will be warmer (in the house at least), the wind is suppose to die down, and I get to have my hair done and hopefully get a little more Christmas shopping done:)

No comments: